Friday, October 7, 2011

OktoberFrost - planning the menu!

For years now, Fireman and I have been wanting to have a party in October and call it OktoberFrost!  I know, clever right?!!  Every year now for awhile, we have considered this party, asked a few of our friends what they thought, and always found that people were already busy with other commitments.  Lots of times, there was a home football game that day which would have resulted in a small turnout for the party.  Well, this year we decided to just plan it anyway and see what happens.  So far loads of people have responded that they can come - some only for a little bit before heading off to other parties and some after attending other functions early in the day.  No matter, we are happy to have our guests show up for as little or as long as they'd like (or at least until midnight - Fireman has to work the next day!!!).

So, for the past week or so, I have been really trying to get the menu set.  At this point, I think I'll be making some sauerbraten sandwiches, brauts/hotdogs with sauerkraut topping of course, and sauerkraut soup.  AC is going to bring Bavarian dip with cocktail rye, crackers and veggies, one cousin is bringing her famous carrot cake (seriously, I should blog about that cake - it's just about the best thing ever), and a neighbor is bringing a hot potato/sauerkraut dish.  I've already purchased the crunchy pretzels and spicy mustard and I'm working on finding one of those soft pretzel machines that you find at a concession stand.  If I can get my hands on one of those babies, we'll be in business for soft pretzels with mustard or cheese!  I even went so far as to order some Oktoberfest music on iTunes so we can set a festive atmosphere!!  Chicken dance anyone??

As of right now, let the count down begin!!  One week from tomorrow we will kick off our first annual OktoberFrost.  Here's hoping for a nice sunny but cool and dry day with loads of friends and plenty of beer and food.  For all of you that can't make it this year, never fear, there's always next year!!

PS If any of you have tried and true recipes for sauerbraten sandwiches or sauerkraut soup, please feel free to send them my way.  I'll be sure to give you all the credit!!! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment